Call Us Today 203-754-7779


Hurt At Work? 3 Things To Do Right Away

Posted by James Cummings | Dec 20, 2016 | 0 Comments

If you're a construction worker who was hurt at work, you need to take steps to get medical care and file a workers' compensation claim right away. Your employer must have workers' compensation coverage, and if not, then you can take legal action if you get injured. Your employer is violating the law by not carrying workers' compensation for the employees.

Since you work in construction, it's important to note that independent contractors are not covered by workers' compensation. They may need to file personal injury lawsuits in order to get compensation. If you are an hourly or salaried employee, below are the steps you need to take to get compensated.

Go to the hospital or doctor immediately

The first step is to get the medical care you need. Tell the doctor or hospital that this is a work-related injury so it can be noted as such in your chart. This will be vital for your claim once you file the necessary paperwork.

Alert your employer

If your employer was not aware of your injuries, then now is the time to alert him or her that you were injured on the job. Your employer has forms that you'll need to fill out to file your claim in a timely manner. If you are not able to fill out the paperwork due to the severity of your injuries, your employer typically can complete and submit it for you.

Submit your documents

Finally, submit your paperwork, including health information, doctor's notes and other medical documentation to your employer or the Workers' Compensation Commission. This information helps the commission decide whether your claim qualifies and should be paid.

Workers' compensation covers your medical expenses and begins to pay you for lost wages after you miss at least four days. At that point, temporary total disability benefits kick in, helping you keep your income while you recover. The day of your injury will also be paid in full, according to the Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act.

These are just a few steps to getting what you need after an injury. If your claim is denied, your attorney can help you submit more documents or appeal your case.

About the Author

James Cummings

James lives in Southbury with his wife, Lynn, and their children, James, and Chloe. He enjoys skiing and fishing in his spare time, and is actively involved in local civil affairs in his hometown of Southbury and the greater Waterbury area.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Cummings Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about Criminal Defense, Family Law, Business Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate law issues in Waterbury, CT and its surrounding counties.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.